Thursday, January 29, 2015

Time to Move or Time to Stay? Letting My Year Guide Me


A couple of professional opportunities have come my way recently and my instinct was to let them pass.  However, my husband is not so thrilled about it.  He is concerned because 1.) It is completely out of character; and 2.) I have worked so hard to get where I am, why quit now?  He feels like I should be chomping at the bit to get to the next level.  After all, I am the one touting how playing big is so important.  Even though I have explained I am not quitting, just reprioritizing for a little while, he still seems a little concerned that somehow I am stuck or settling for less than I deserve. 

While I am certain this is not the case, I think it is a good idea to take a step back for a minute and make sure that my decisions are being made out of intention and not fear.

Taking this year to really get to know me and get past the issues holding me back is certainly a decision made of intention.  This is something I truly feel if I pass on it now I will never do it.  For the first time in my life, I also believe I am worth this investment.  This fact alone makes me want to guard this whole process fiercely.  But, does that honestly mean that I have to turn away from opportunities that arise during the first few months of my year?

For instance, what could be my dream job was just posted in Massachusetts.  When I first read the post, it was like fireworks and a parade exploded onto my screen.  However, a couple of things hit me pretty quickly that implied my initial reaction may have been wrong.  First, it is a leadership position with a consortium organization, so I would be doing a lot of paperwork and delegating-not the creative professional development design I first thought to be the case.  Next, I would need to move almost 2 hours north and even then, the two offices I would be commuting back and forth between are over an hour apart.

The money would be amazing-IF I was given the higher end of the pay scale.  With my experience and skills I know I could negotiate at least a mid-point, but I highly doubt they intend on giving anyone the high end right out of the gate.  But, money is not what I am most concerned with right now.  I know, I know.  I can’t believe I am saying it myself.  But, it is true.

I commute 45 minutes each way now and while I do not loathe it, it really is time that I wish to be doing something else.  I am a true Rhode Islander in that I do not want to drive more than 20 minutes each way to go to work.  By this rule, I am spending 45 minutes a day in the car that could be put to much better use.  And, truth be told, I am a horrible driver.  So, the thought of spending hours a day in the car makes me want to run the other way.

This job would also mean living apart from my husband for a year while he waits for a transfer from his job which is just too good to leave.  We thought some of that might be fun.  Give us each our own space and then we would be together on the weekends.  It would be like we were dating again!  But, a year is a long time.  And I don’t want to move into the house we will buy together alone.  It seems unfair to my husband to ask him to make that kind of sacrifice, even if it is only short term.  By the time he moves in permanently, it would be like he was an addition and not part of the process.  We have worked too hard for that.   

And, I know it is only an hour or two away, but it does not seem like the right time to make a major move.  How can I learn more about me when I am in the midst of a major life change and learning a new job.  Granted, I have done it on several occasions before, but this time is different.  If I truly want to establish who I am outside of my career, I cannot do it while immersing myself wholly into a new venture in my career.  It is an ugly catch-22.  All of this thought, and I have not even been offered an interview-never mind a position!  But it has clarified one thing.  I am not running away.  I am running towards something new.

I am confident that big opportunities are heading my way.  Opportunities that I will take whole heartedly and with more enthusiasm than you could ever imagine.  However, if I want to capitalize on them to the fullest, I need to do the work on myself first.  I am looking at this as a year-long process, but my instincts tell me that big things will start happening in about 6 months if I do the work and stay diligent. 

I do not know why this is the case.  It is just what my instincts say.  At that point, I believe that I will have a better idea of what I want my long-term picture to look like as far as personal life and professional life.  And, I will be in a much better place to embrace it.  It may not even be a professional opportunity that is the next big thing on the horizon-go figure!  But, I will not be able to figure anything if I just jump on the first ship because it pulled into dock.

So, there it is.  My decision to step away from making any major career moves at the moment has been of intention and not fear.  As I sit and reread what I have written, I am more sure than ever.  Do you know what the best part is?  I love my job so there is no sacrifice here whatsoever.  I get to keep doing work I love with peers I love while I figure out what drives me and who I want to be.  Until then, I have the benefit of working with great people who inspire me to do great things.  At least I know that even while I am stepping off of the fast track roller coaster for a few months they have my back.  And that brings us back to our regularly scheduled programming, folks.  No more work talk for awhile.  I have some soul searching to do and the work train has left the station.

Have you passed on an opportunity that would have been great professionally, but not personally?  How do you feel about it looking back?  Let me know if the comments.  I can’t wait to hear your stories!

Mis

0 comments:

Post a Comment